1. In a fond farewell to your old kitchen, spend some time in it, cooking. Make family favorites, and put them in the freezer. We promise you…you’ll thank yourself later!
2. In the weeks before the work begins, keep a list of all those restaurants you’ve been meaning to try. When the microwave gets old, your list will come in handy for a quick escape.
3. Before the cabinets arrive, decide on a safe, enclosed area for the cabinets and appliances to be delivered. Usually, the garage is a good location.
4. Pack up the kitchen or bathroom well before the remodeling begins. While it’s a good time to spring clean your shelves, don’t forget to label the storage boxes well. This will make the unpacking process a lot easier and a lot more fun. Items that are fragile should be marked accordingly and stored in an area away from the construction.
5. Plan a location outside of the area where the remodeling is being done to act as your temporary kitchen.
6. You may be able to temporarily move everything you need…except for the kitchen sink! Consider where your water source will be in relationship to your temporary kitchen.
7. Don’t forget about Fido and Kitty! If there isn’t an area in your home to keep them safely away from construction, especially during certain phases, it may be a perfect time to treat your pet to a vacation at the kennel or a play date at a friend’s home.
8. Decide in advance where you’d like the installers to store their tools.
9. Dust…there’s just no way to avoid it! If there is a fish tank or electrical equipment in close proximity to the work-site, remember to keep them well-covered.
1. The Fridge
2. The Microwave
3. Freezer stocked with microwaveable meals
4. Coffee Maker-filters and coffee close at hand
5. Utility utensils: can opener, bottle/wine opener, sharp knives and microwaveable dishes
7. Keep the basics handy: butter, salt and pepper, favorite spices
8. Dining area/table
9. Tell the kids you’re picnicking…use paper plates and napkins, and disposable silverware
10. Cleaning supplies and dishtowels